Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tears and Influences

Okay, I have a question. Does every writer, amateur or professional, need to have some sort of an influence [influences]? I remember one cold and scary night in London, when three very strange short people with the tallest ego you can ever find,entrapped me into some sort of an intervention.
Mr. HUGE EGO BECAUSE-I-WENT-TO-LSE-AND-OWN-MY-OWN-COMPANY-NOW, asked ever-so-politely, 'So you claim you have passion for writing, huh? So who are your influences?'. I stared at this bespectacled semi-monstrous man, blinked twice, looked at the floor hoping the correct answer will be secretly written on the floor. Sadly, the floor remained quiet and my eyelids refused to blink further. I looked at him, cleared my knotted voice and said, 'Uhh.. I like the funnies. So uh.. P.G. Wodehouse?' and flashed a nervous smile.

Have you ever seen the expression on your face when you are constipated? Well, there it was all over his face, screaming, 'MYPOOPWON'TCOMEOUT!'. My God, I thought, what did I say or do now? 'That is so much of a cliche, mimi [me], what sort of a writer are you if you do not have any genuine influence? If you were a part of any university here you would be eaten up alive.' And ofcourse, the other two nodded gravely at the nuisance good-for-nothing thing that I had become.
'Why are you surprised? She's an empty drum set. All noise but no substance', said the Madam Bloatary EmoHighness.
'In my days, a good whipping solved everything...blah blah blah..when I was a kid, I was awesome..blah blah blah', went on Mr. Partyshifter Blah blah.
Yes, the good old days. I sat staring into space, fighting back tears [I am a bit whiny]hoping I had been someone else , even the little flowerpot on the balcony.

But this sort of makes me question, is it really some sort of a neccesity to state an influence , a proper on not a 'cliche', in order for people to take you seriously as a writer? Were they right? Or are they just how I potrayed them to be? Bloated with egos.

So many questions. I really wish there was a right answer to all of this. It's hard to be taken seriouly as it is. Anyway, it's just a passing thought. I shall now go back to Bob and pink cookies.

Moo <3

7 comments:

Lucy Fur said...

heck.even that air filled no ball could be an influence.influences arent always nice baby.just as long as they make you write in the awesome way you do...who cares?:)

Danny said...

I don't really think you need any sort of influence as such to be a writer. You can write anything at any time for crying out loud. There are favourite authors of course but you don;t really need the shadow of Umberto Eco or Paulo Coelho or T.S. Eliot looming large on the horizon each time you pen something down. But there are always those people who need to recite a whole page full of high and mighty (preferably exotic and unheard of) names of writers who they have been "influenced" by whereas their writings might not even remotely show any allegiance to their claims. One thing most people confuse is liking a particular author a lot and being influenced by one. While both can be related, they might not be the same. Freedomofexpressionrules.
Yeah bebe!

Moo Kay said...

@shreya:Ahhh I am glad :D
those people are screwed up wannabeees. :|

@dany: yeah, I agree. I think being ignorant about your influence is best, that way there is no forced echo of another writer in your work.

Deboleena said...

Egulo ke bole MoFos. Shaala - I know the sort. They're harmless, really. Insecure bitches.

And no influences means puro original - yay!

Moo Kay said...

ekdom. i just wish i knew then, would have been easier then.
would have had a song in my head, instead of the burning train. :P

Unknown said...

umay function undr influnc and not so aswell!influen is nthin but sumthin dat boosts u to perfrm d action!!it jus inspires u vent ur emotions in a particulr way...hwever i thin i prsn wit enuf emotinl reasonin power can do so widot any

Elf on the bookshelf said...

For some time now (read last Monday) I've been so busy advising people on self esteem issues (even trying to follow them myself) that I've become a sort of a pro at this. Why you worry and fret over unimportant people I fail to understand. Start realizing your own worth. You are where you are because of yourself and not because of them. So let them R.I.P.(Rot In Pieces) and you carry on your work.